Scanner Access Now Easy
Modified Backend for Nikon Coolscan scanners
This software is a modified version Didier Carliers
original coolscan backend.
It implements a SANE backend
that provides access to the following scanners (not all features are supported yet - see below):
| Coolscan II
| 24-Bit RGB
| has been replaced by the LS-30
| 30-Bit RGB?
| has been replaced by the LS-2000
| Coolscan III
| 24/30-Bit RGB / 32/40-Bit RGBI
| dust-removal by infrared
| Super Coolscan 2000
| 24/36-Bit RGB / 32/40-Bit RGBI
| dust-removal by infrared / multiscan
Consider this driver to be ALPHA. Nevertheless the following features
are already implemented and have worked for me (and others) at least partially:
New Features of version 0.4.3:
- A "Prescan Now" button
- Changing of exposure values for LS-30 and LS-2000 as percent of the values determined by the prescan
- Correction of byte order in the LUTs
New Features of version 0.4.2:
- Scanning positive (Dia) and negative at 10 bit per color with LS-30 and 12-bit per color for LS-2000
- Scanning of greyscale images
- Correction of Infrared Channel from red channel to reduce cross-talk and allow for
- Better implementation of user-lookup table (Gamma)
- Scanning positive (Dia) and negative at 24 Bit RGB in any resolution up to 2700
- Scanning with Infrared Channel (32 RGBI) using xscanimage (see Dust Removal)
- Changing user-lookup table (Gamma)
- Use Autofocus (it is an advanced option - see Autofocus)
The moment when to do the autofocus is an advanced option.
Use (Preferences->Show advanced options in xscanimage/xsane) to
make them show.
For now the default is "never" as the autofocus command causes
system crashes on some systems with some SCSI-cards and drivers.
See Autofocus Problem.
|don't do any autofocussing
|all images are unsharp/scan time is quick
|do autofocus before preview
|need to do preview pefore every slide to get it sharp
|do autofocus before scan
|can do many scans without preview, but preview is unsharp
|before preview and scan
|do autofocus both before preview and before scan
|you are waiting a long time on the autofocus
Current limitations (see also Future plans)
- The autofocus is always done at the center of the slide while it should be done at the center of the scan area.
- The LS-1000 is only partially supported: one important omission is the gamma correction.
Future plans (in this order)
- Improve code for dust removal using the infrared channel. (automatic calibration of correction values)
- Figure out how to treat negatives intelligently (it works now but you need
to manually adjust the lower limit of the gamma curve to about 100)
- Debug the SCSI-autofocus problem
- Support the film strip feeder
- Do non-regression tests for the older models (I need help on that one)
- Promote the inclusion of the infrared channel code into the mainstream SANE
The latest snapshot of the backend (version 0.4.3) is available here (shift-click):
If you prefer sane-1.0.2 with the patch applied
For historic interest, here is a link to the previous version:
The installation has changed. It is now a standard patch to sane version 1.0.2 (also works with v 1.0.1)
To use it untar the sane distribution sane-1.0.2.tar.gz,
change to that directory and apply the patch:
patch -Np1 < sanepatch_coolscan043
Configure, make and install sane as usual.
Drop me a line to tell me how it went!
Reporting problems / success
Either drop me a mail (email@example.com),
or subscribe to the SANE mailing list (firstname.lastname@example.org) and post a description
of your problem there.
Didier Carlier - For writing the original Coolscan backend (without it I would not have started this)
Oliver.Rauch - For adapting xsane so quickly to the infrared stuff
Hamrick Software for writing vuescan
David Fox for the Log files for the LS-2000
All the people that send me feed-back
All the people the have made SANE a reality
This page was last updated: April 2 2000
Access to this page since 8/1999